Individuals may be referred to a urologist to address a variety of medical issues including kidney failure, kidney stones, issues with the bladder or with prostate, a suspicion you may have developed bladder, kidney or testicular cancer, a requirement for circumcision or problems associated with passing urine.

The standard of care you receive from your GP, consultant, nurses, hospital and other support agencies who manage your care should not fall below that expected by a reasonable body of medical opinion.

You are owed a duty of care and if the support you receive falls below the required standard of care and you have suffered injury or loss as a result, you will be entitled to compensation for your loss.

A recent report on NHS urology services published in July 2018 suggested there was still some way to go in improving urological services. It recommended:

  • Extending the role of specialist nurses

  • Setting up specialist urological units

  • Enabling consultant-led emergency urology services in every NHS trust

This indicates that the quality of care generally given to patients who require urological treatment is often not of the appropriate standard. If you believe the urological treatment you have received has been substandard, contact our team of lawyers who have backgrounds as healthcare professionals. This means we have medical knowledge, enabling us to quickly establish your chances of successfully bringing a claim. In most cases, we operate on a no win, no fee basis, putting you at no financial risk should you be unsuccessful.

You may need our help because:

  • A surgical error has caused incontinence, nerve damage or impotence

  • A vasectomy procedure has failed

  • Your cancer was misdiagnosed or there was an unreasonable delay in that diagnosis. This may relate to cancer of the prostate, bladder or testicles

  • You may have sustained a perforated bladder

  • You may have developed an infection following an operation, due to inadequate post-operative care

  • There was a failure to treat kidney stones

  • Errors were made during circumcision (such as taking too much or too little foreskin)

What should you do if you have experienced urology negligence?

If there has been an instance of medical negligence, the claimant must be able to prove that sub-par or inadequate care led to their (or their loved ones) injury or illness, causing unnecessary suffering. As medical negligence compensation claims can be complex by their nature, we advise our clients to seek legal advice at their earliest opportunity. For us to be able to successfully build a urology negligence claim, it is vital that the claimant can prove:

  1. That the urologist or medical professional had a duty of care towards you
  2. That professional did not meet the expected standards of care when treating you
  3. That you were injured or suffered illness as a result of their negligence
  4. That you suffered physical, psychological and/or financial harm as a direct result of medical negligence

Frequently asked questions

Will I have to pay anything up front?

No, you will not. If we believe there is merit in your case, we will investigate it, obtain your medical records with your consent and seek a expert medical opinion before advising you. We will pay for any expenses incurred.

You have three years from your date of knowledge of the negligence that gives rise to your complaint. If you are not an adult, time will run from your 18th birthday.